Skip to Main Content

Copyright and licensing in Higher Education

Guidance for copyright and licensing issues

Copyright for researchers

Please see Copyright for Students for a general overview of copyright applicable to researchers.

However, there are some specific copyright and licensing issues that pertain to research students and academic staff when it comes to publishing their own work. (More information to follow soon)

Assigning copyright

More information to follow soon.

Who owns the copyright?

In general, the author or creator of the work owns the copyright. For example, in the context of Higher Education, students own their own copyright.

However, if work is created by an employee in the course of their employment, the copyright is owned by their employer. This means the University of Northampton owns the copyright of material created by staff as part of their employment. This includes both teaching and research. 

For more information on the ownership of copyright works, see the specific IPO Ownership of Copyright Works web pages. 


This information is for general guidance and background information only and does not constitute legal advice. The University of Northampton does not accept any responsibility or liability for any loss or damage incurred as a result of relying on information contained on this website. 


Much of this content has been adapted and reproduced from the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Where content has been derived in this manner, it has been attributed as follows:

© Crown Copyright.

IPO Copyright information is licensed under the Open Government Licence 3.0. open government licence logo